Tuesday, July 21, 2009

the pursuit of happiness


I recently sat in on a presentation about Independence and Freedom. The topic of the Declaration of Independence was discussed, specifically about the "pursuit of happiness." The speaker was contending that younger people (he pointed at me) seem to have a sense of entitlement- almost flippancy towards what they think is "owed" to them. He asks people every time he does this presentation what freedom and independence mean to them. He said that the younger generation always say things like, "freedom from oppression, freedom from governmental rule, freedom from doing things I don't want to do, etc." The speaker pointed out that our founding fathers wanted to be industrious, they wanted the freedom to think for themselves, to be hardworking, independent, honest, and to be good citizens. They wanted freedom to evolve into better people, though hard work.

I thought it was interesting the difference indicated in the ways the different generations think of freedom. He said the younger generation wants freedom FROM, not freedom TO...

I hope that I do not fall into that category. I was raised to be thankful and to work hard. I can honestly say that I have worked for everything that I have. But I'm sure I also could have worked harder and attained more. I probably could have kept my mind on things of importance more- things that actually have value, like relationships with those around me, or learning more about other cultures, thoughts and places. I wonder how much I could have accomplished in my life if I didn't watch TV... I wonder how much more kids would use their imaginations without the X-box or Wii.

I wonder how much more grateful I would be for my job if I had ever not been allowed to work, or had been dictated what occupation I would have. I hope that I am appreciative enough of those who have gone before me, that I learn their stories and try to emulate some of the values they fought for.

There is a scene in "The Hurt Locker" where a man who's job it is to diffuse bombs during a war, is home on leave. You have seen him be in these insane and very intense situations and now he is in the grocery store with his wife- you can tell he feels out of place. His wife asks him to please go pick some cereal. He goes to the aisle and just stands in front of all the boxes. He just stands there, looking at the cereal. The irony of this man trying to pick out something so inconsequential, and at the same time be the same man that holds thousands of lives in his hands on a daily basis, is so poignant.

I don't think anyone can get through "The Pursuit of Happiness" without feeling your heart wrench during the scene where the Will Smith plays make believe with his son and tells him they are going to go "into the cave" where the "dinosaurs" are... in the bathroom of the Metro station, just so they have somewhere to sleep. Then when someone tries to use the bathroom and he holds the door closed as he cries silently, keeping his sleeping son still and safe. At the end, after ALL of the many many things he went through, he FINALLY gets the job.... the PURSUIT of happiness.

Its not that we are ENTITLED to freedom from the negative things around us... its the freedom to make our lives better. To let your true character take you to new heights, to have integrity, and to be a good, honest person. And, to pass this legacy of what our freedom MEANS, on to our kids.

I know I have been thinking about this for a few days now. I am thankful for my freedom. I am recommitted to DOING something worthwhile with it, to making my life MEAN something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails