Friday, August 24, 2012

here's how I see it: a review of "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"


Extremely Loud and Incredibly CloseExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was completely surprised by how much I loved this book!  Jonathan Safran Foer was brilliant with the mechanics of this story, walking us through different perspectives and hopping back and forth in time- which I don't usually like, but in this book he pulled it off.  I fell in love with the characters, especially little Oskar.  Usually I am turned off by a narrative through a young child, but Oskar's voice was so pure, so... Oskar, he immediately grabbed a hold of my heart.

Oskar's journey to solve the mystery surrounding his late father was so delightful and heartfelt.  I found myself rooting for him and really enjoying all of the characters he got to meet along the way.  The stories of the individual lives that the author came up with were so honest in their portrayal of humanity which I loved!  Oskar's search is so heartfelt and I felt like I was really inside the mind of a very smart 9 year old.  His brutal honesty was endearing, and his heartbreak, palpable. I'm not one to tear up often in books, but I have to admit it happened on more than one occasion in this book.

The relationship between Oskar's grandparents was so tragic, and I was captivated by it.  I cannot imagine the horror they went through.  I though it was ingenious to have one of the character's point of view be from someone who does not speak- what a huge feat to accomplish so well by an author.

I have to admit I really wanted to know what was in the safe deposit box.... but I'm sure it wasn't revealed because that wasn't the point, and would have distracted from Oskar's end goal.

I listened to the audio version of this book, and I think the narrators did a phenomenal job.  Many times the narration can tip the scale on how much I love or dislike a book, and this recording was great.  I am picking up my own copy of the book because of what I have heard about the actual pages inside.  There aren't many books that I would buy a copy AFTER reading, but this one is a delightful exception.

I have no idea how Jonathan Safran Foer figured out how to write this story, so full of emotion, from such different characters, in different points in time.  Taking on the topic of September 11th and bringing such tragic events close to the surface and at the same time making me love the story, is  impressive.  I definitely want to pick up other books by the author- his writing was so different and full of life.

I love that this book exists because I think it's so important that the events of September 11th be remembered.  This is one of the most original and fantastic books I've read in a long time and recommend it to everyone.

dizzylittlechatgirl

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails