Wednesday, February 27, 2013

here's how I see it: a review of A Thousand Splendid Suns


A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think it deserves more of a 4.5.  This book was another tough subject matter, dealing with two women and their ravaged lives during wartime in Afghanistan.  Told from two female perspectives that eventually intersect, this was a sobering look at some really tough things women have to go through.  The worst part is that these things are happening right now, modern day, during my lifetime.  It made me very conscious of the freedoms I have as a woman, and so very thankful that I had the freedom to choose who I married, and I am treated as an equal with respect.  I had no idea just how much is demanded from these women.

The book itself was, in true Hosseini style, a beautiful and haunting tale.  It spans an entire lifetime against the backdrop of war ravaged Kabul, and depicts the lives of two women who end up married to the same man.  It is a story of  friendship born under the worst of circumstances, and I loved the moment when these two women finally open up to each other, becoming allies instead of enemies.  Both Miriam and Liala went through such awful things that it made it that much sweeter when they found their friendship.  I knew one of them would have to kill Rasheed but I thought it was going to be Liala.  I like it better the was it was written, allowing Miriam to give her life, turning it into a life of honor, a life that meant something, and allowing Liala to escape with Tariq.

The love story between Tariq and Liala as best friends in childhood then being separated all those years and finally reunited was beautiful.  A true love story.  I also loved how little Zalmai ends up having a sweet relationship with Tariq, and I adore Tariq for loving him unconditionally.  I loved the ending, where I mourned for Miriam, but also felt her strong spirit live on and through Liala in making the orphanage a better place.

I thought it was a beautifully written book, full of deep and complex characters who will live on in my mind for a long time.  Khaled Hosseini has a beautiful way of writing rich stories that weave themselves into your heart.  I can't wait for his new book.



dizzylittlechatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails