Thursday, April 11, 2013

here's how I see it- a review of "Cutting for Stone"


Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really a 4.5 rating.  I didn't know anything about this book when I began and the best way for me to describe the writing style is that of a fast flowing river that has many eddies along the way.  I would be floating along, just starting to really get into a certain character, or what was happening in the story and then suddenly I was off on the side, slowed down by going into detail about another character.  At first this was really bothering me, and I admit, if I wasn't listening to the audio version, I may have put it down.  But once I figured out the writing style and embraced it, and as I learned more about all the characters, I really fell in love with this book!

There are very strong medical and cultural influences throughout which I really enjoyed learning about, especially given Abraham Verghese's expertise and background.  I have no idea how he came up with such an elaborate storyline filled with so much turmoil over the years.  I thought it was very interesting that Verghese decided to begin the story even before Marion and Shiva's births, and I loved the hint of mystery over a pregnant nun and her run-away lover.

I love love loved Hema and Ghosh.  They represent everything parents should be and their love for Marion and Shiva is beautiful.  I love that the birth of the little twins is what finally brings the two of them together.  I also love how they each had their own strong identities, but they were such in sync partners.  I think it was so sweet that for as talented as Hema was with her work, at home she was just Mama- she never wanted her boys to think her love for them could be divided or lessened by her work.  I can't imagine how haunted she was for so long over the possibility that Thomas Stone could come back and claim the twins.  I love how Ghosh never contacted Stone out of respect and love for his wife.  He was a great husband as well as a father.  

Marion and Shiva- the way Verghese describes their connection as twins is so beautiful.  I love their foreheads touching as boys and how that piece comes full circle in the hospital at the end.  The description of them as on Shiva-Marion was really interesting and sweet.  I saw a lot of Thomas Stone in Shiva's personality, and thought how different of a book this would be from any other perspective- especially Shiva.

Genet's character was so tragic.  Eventually I just felt sorry for her.  I couldn't believe what she had to go through at her mother's hand, and it made me furious that Shiva never owned up to his part in it.  I wanted closure with her in the end, and I guess there is the hint of that, but I wanted her to mend it better with Marion.  Although, her tragic life, wreaking havoc in her wake wherever she went, was a huge part of the story.  ANd how awful for Marion to have such a love-hate relationship with her and never be able to rid himself of her spell.

I think the search for redemption was a huge theme in the book.  Thomas trying to find it after abandoning his sons and then being able to do the surgery, Sister Mary Joseph Praise traveling to find it under the guise of a nun and penning the letter on her deathbed, Gosh never searching out Thomas but leaving the letter for Marion to find all those years later, Shiva for what he did with Genet seeking redemption by giving up his liver to his brother.

Even though the pace was meandering for me at times, I'm so glad I read this book and really enjoyed the story and characters.  I found myself wishing that this was one of my book club's selections because there would be so much to discuss.  I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a bit of a challenge that will be worth your effort.






dizzylittlechatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails