Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You mean you weren't expecting me?


...What? What's that you say? Wou weren't expecting me to write again for... at least two or three more months? I know, right?

So during the 'time-that-must-not-be-mentioned' aka my old job, occasionally I would have a spare minute to check on this little website of authors that have published with Harper Collins. So I kind of became obsessed with trying to extract all of the hidden writing gems that writers readily share with others (because what is more fun for people that love to write than to tell people HOW to write?). I admit, there was some sifting, trying to get to authors I connected with, but I did get a lot of helpful information (THANK YOU HARPER COLLINS). And this website kept me going with a purpose that I KNEW someday I would get that chance to work towards. I wanted to have done all the research possible by the time I was able to write seriously.

Across the board, one of the tips that was given was that while you are writing is to READ. Foremost read your genre, but read, read, read as much as you can on an many different topics as you can. I have always been an avid reader (if my husband ever needed some guy time... he'd be like, "sweetie... lets go get you a book.... I really want you to be able to do what you love and......" which sounds a lot like "I just want to be able to play Xbox. What's a guy gotta do???") and I have been known to read entire books in just a few days. Plus its funny that he KNOWS I know what he's doing, so he has this little smirk when he says it.

So last night, Hubby comes home and has had a great day at the office and says he wants to take me to Barnes and Noble for coffee. We had a great time just hanging out. I love this man.

Anyway, we came out with a selection of books (to add to a stack I already had waiting), white peppermint mochas (with half the pumps... and you MUST try this drink. Seriously.) and I then proceeded to chat off my husbands ear until after midnight (he KNEW better than to give me coffee at 9 at night).

Ok, selections.... drumroll please??? (in no particular order...)

    On the Brink- Henry M. Paulson Jr.

The Shack- Wm. Paul Young

The Brass Verdict

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows


Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold


If I am Missing or Dead- Janine Latus


Hold Tight- Harlan Coben


The Book of the Dead- Patricia Cornwell



Ta-Du! Yeah I think that should keep me pretty occupied for a while, so luckily Hubby can answer the CALL OF DUTY. I am really so excited.


I've already jumped into:


  • Lovely Bones- Had a hard time right in the beginning with child murder. Hoping to get past it soon. And NO I haven't seen the movie... nor will I, until I finish the book. Don't go spoiling it for me, mmkay?


  • The Brass Verdict- Loving this one. I love mysteries and detective and or lawyer stories. Always enjoy Michael Connelly books.


  • Bright Lights Big Ass- Jen, can I call her just Jen? I totally feel like I know her and that maybe we've had cocktails in another life. I've loved her since her first book, Bitter is the New Black. I also follow her blog. Im excited to see if I enjoy this one as much as the first.


  • On the Brink- Totally into this one. I read 60 pages today. I was in the financial industry before this and so I am really interested to see his perspective. So far its been a great read. He explains things well and it is a captivating narrative.


So friends, consider yourself on notice. You should be hearing from me with greater regularity... (I know, you are totally going to lose sleep over this tonight because you are so excited about when I will post again right?)


Signing off for the night,


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails