Thursday, March 18, 2010

lock down and bringing down the wall



I had a self-imposed lock down today. I really really really needed to figure out a big part of my plot for my book because I am driving myself crazy trying to figure it out! I told myself that I was not going to come out of my studio until I had it brilliantly storyboarded on my wall.
Yes, that was my planned solution. The outlining... not really going so well! Im NOT an outliner. Pretty much suck at coming up with ANYTHING concrete that way. Soooo my brilliant plan was to cover the wall in my studio with my plot. I got bright colored notecards and some snazzy looking push pins (thank you office depot) and some yarn and viola! Insta-storyboard.
So I worked on that all morning, and it was coming along.... but then I was stuck again. Im trying to figure out WHERE in my story to START the book.
I know that must so really ridiculous... seeing as the BEGINNING sounds like a good place to start, but hear me out. The beginning could be at a couple of different places with what Im writing, and Im just trying to figure out which character's storyline is the beginning. I had two different beginnings so far....
So today when I hit a wall.... I decided to MOVE THE WALL. Why was I thinking I HAD to do it one way or another? Just because I've already written parts of something before doesn't mean I have to use it at all.
SOOOO (I promise the end of this rant is coming) I did what I do best and stopped trying to PUSH myself to do it another way. I just decided to write. I wrote the beginning from a totally different character's storyline just to see where it took me.
THAT is how my PROCESS goes again!! I just need to WRITE and I will figure out the rest along the way.

Don't know if I'll end up using what I wrote today, but hey, it was a great learning experience and I finally removed that freaking WALL I've been staring at for weeks.

Whew. Feeling so much better getting that out!

what?? I've been on lockdown for HOURS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails