Wednesday, March 24, 2010

writing tips



Random tips I learned about writing today from other authors websites & blogs (listed on my sidebar):

  • if you're not writing, you're not a writer
  • read your dialogue out loud
  • don't be cliche in your plot line
  • don't give too much background in a dialogue- people don't bring up old stuff in every day conversations very often
  • 10,000 hours of doing something will make you pretty good at it. nothing can make up for those hours
  • send off a manuscript, not when its perfect- because it never will be- but when you are ready to take some criticism
  • you dont need to listen to anyone else about their process- do it your own way and don't tweak it if its working
  • write. even when you dont think its good or when its not coming to you
  • only one "coincidence" is allowed per book
  • writing is rewriting

One thing I've learned from my writing practice is that once I start, I usually get on a roll. Part of my process is sitting there, staring at the blank page and then just forcing myself to write. Sometimes what I write works, and sometimes I end up taking it out, but for me, half of the battle is just STARTING along some line of thought.

I've decided not to be afraid that what I'm going to come up with is the wrong direction. I will just write it and then if I decide its not the way I want it to go, I will just go back and start that part over. I feel like my characters are taking it how they want it to go anyway. So what if I have a couple of alternate ways to go. I think that's how I will find out what works the best, since I think I do my best work when I'm IN it, meaning that I feel like its a story I'm discovering with the audience (assuming of course, that I'll HAVE an audience at some point).

So Im going to take my own advice, and go back to my chapter. Someone is about to come to Ryker's house... and Im not sure who yet....



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails