Friday, April 30, 2010

check-marks


Today is the day I figured out the ending. Or at least AN ending for my book. This is a HUGE deal for me because I have never been able to clearly come up with an ending that I think would work. The funny thing is that when I started out this morning, I wasn't even working on the plot... and I certainly didn't think I would find my ending.

Today I tried a different exercise -I did entire character descriptions (at the suggestion of Timothy Hallinan, who I talked about yesterday. I wrote everything I knew about each of the main characters I intend to have in my story. What do they look like? Who makes up their family? What is their occupation? What is their character like? What is their 'mission' in the book? What are their flaws? How far are they willing to go to get what they want? What is important to them? What is their moral fiber like? What/who do that care about? I didn't think about it... I just wrote and wrote.

So in the middle of this, I had some crazy things happen... one thing is that someone I THOUGHT was a main character... well he's kind of out. I got to the end of the plot without him in it! Sad! I really kind of liked that character! Who knows, maybe he will find another purpose somewhere in the book that I don't know about yet.

The other thing that happened is that while I was describing their personalities and how they got to be WHO they are... THE PLOT EXPANDED AND THE ENDING APPEARED!

I dont know if it will end up being THE ENDING but at least I got my head around a possibility.

So my check-marks for the day:

  • words written today 2,309
  • characterizations
  • ending
aaaannnnddd we're back in business.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails