Saturday, July 28, 2012

here's how I see it: a review of "The Emotion Thesaurus"


The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character ExpressionThe Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression by Angela Ackerman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I cannot say enough about how much I love this book!!  I saw some people suggest it online and after finding out what it was- I ordered it right away.  It is a FANTASTIC writing resource!

When writing, sometimes its hard to come up with new ways of describing feelings or situations so Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi came up with this amazing book.  You identify the "root emotion" that you are trying to describe, and then they have a list of the following things for each root emotion: physical signals, internal sensations, mental responses, cues of acute or long-term feeling of the emotion, what the emotion could escalate to, and cues of what the character would be like if they suppressed the emotion.  It's BRILLIANT!!

Angela Ackerman adn Becca Puglisi have a blog, The Bookshelf Muse, that describes everything if you want to check it out.

I recommend this to EVERYONE thats writing ANYTHING.  Love it!

dizzylittlechatgirl

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails