Tuesday, January 1, 2013

here's how I see it: a review of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"


A Tree Grows in BrooklynA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this book!  I immediately loved Francie's voice, optimistic outlook and her tenacity.  She is lovable and fierce at the same time.  All of the characters of this story are complex and felt so real to me.  The story is set against staggering poverty and heart-wrenching circumstances that make you root for Francie and her happiness all the way through.
There were situations in this story all the way through that tug at your heart, especially as a mother.  There are many times when Francie's mom would appear as hard or unfeeling with the things she expects from her children and her demeanor towards them.  But then you see things through her eyes and you understand how it hurts her to do this, but she feels it's her responsibility as their mom to prepare them for the hardships the world will bring.
This coming of age book is rich and meandering, and you truly fall in love with the characters.  I see how this book has become so beloved over the years.  Even through all the hard situations Francie and her family are faced with, I am amazed at their positive outlook and will to make the best of things.
This book made me incredibly grateful for my own circumstances, more thankful for my family and determined to emulate the positivity in my own life.  Loved this book and I recommend it for anyone who wants to fall into a book and forget themselves for a while.


View all my reviews

dizzylittlechatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails