Wednesday, September 22, 2010

fall goodness


It's the first day of fall!  Fall is my very most favorite time of year.  I love the crisp air, the colors, the spicy fall treats, scarves, and since this is the season that I met my husband, it always makes me remember when we were dating.

In honor of fall, I break out some subtle warm colored decorations in my house and do some rearranging to make it feel really cozy.  I am all about Salt City Candles that have the best and most delicious scents.  Today I am burning 'pumpkin spice'  in honor or welcoming FALL.  

I have been trying to incorporate 'fall' into my cooking lately, which my girls think is funny, but I think they secretly like it.  I have been making these really yummy chai-like protein shakes for breakfast:

Fall Breakfast Shake
Ice
8-10 oz. milk
1 banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3 shakes of cinnamon
1 1/2 shakes cloves
dash pepper

(do you like my exact measurements??)

Blend and enjoy.  I have also learned if you blend it for too long it becomes real foamy-ish, which I don't like.  So blend it until the ice is tiny, but not much longer.

Here is another breakfast favorite:





Zucchini Pie
4 c thinly sliced zucchini
1 c chopped onion
1/4 c butter plus 2 T olive oil
2 eggs beaten
1 c grated cheddar cheese
1 c grated monterey jack cheese
(you can use 2 c colby jack for the cheese)
seasonings:
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t garlic powder
2/ T parsley flakes
1/2 t basil flakes
1/2 t oregano flakes
one tube croissant rolls or dough of choice
As an alternative to using the croissant rolls for the dough:  


Saute zucchini and onion in butter and oil.  Add seasonings. Line 9" pan  with dough.  In large bowl mix eggs and cheese then add zucchini mix.  Pour into lined pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 mins.




A yummy fall lunch- definitely Minestrone

Fall Minestrone
Chicken Stalk
3-4 tomatoes, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 stalks celery
White Beans
Carrots
onions
1 clove garlic, minced
yellow squash
zucchini
spinach
orzo pasta (or I get the wheat pasta)
Lawrey's salt
pepper
thyme
sage
garlic salt
2 bay leaves

Cook and enjoy!

And of course, there HAS to be peach cobbler!! YUM!!
This one is from allrecipes.com 




  • 8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  •  
  • (I usually double this next part so that the peaches to yummy bready part is equal)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  •  
  • MIX TOGETHER:
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
  4. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 20 minutes.


Yesterday at my moms I had some pear butter and I am going to get the recipe for that soon, so I will put it on here when I do.

Fall is magical to me.  I get really excited about it... can you tell?  I have to make myself wait until October to get out the halloween decorations.  Im trying to just be content with my fall-ish ones for now. :)

I'm hoping for some stormy weather too.  That's the best writing weather you know. 


I love this song... it feels like fall to me... 


dear fall,

i love you.

always,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails