Thursday, September 2, 2010

perfection....


Its that feeling. The one where everything falls into place and its like you were never meant to do anything but this. Where you just can't get it wrong and everything fits perfectly.

I had a day like that yesterday with writing. Yesterday I was on fire and I loved every second. Time just flew by and I got soooo much accomplished. That's the part of writing that I love. It really felt like I was just watching the characters play it out- they just did what they would naturally do and it just worked.

I have been purposely vague about my book on here. I guess I haven't really even revealed anything that would lead you to believe I am a good writer or that I can even finish it. I don't know why it makes me so nervous to put a little of it out there. I was reading Kristen Lamb's website (this is a great website for writers to check out!) where she gives tons of great writing advice, and there was a part discussing whether or not to post part of your book online and why we decide for or against sharing our work publicly.

She was saying that often we think that we can't share our idea because its the most unique and unbelievable idea for a novel that has never been thought of before and it would be much to risky to share it. (Her point was that this is NOT the case) Ok, I admit I had similar feeling to that... I do feel like my idea is different and fresh enough that it is really worthy of being published. Not yet of course, but someday.

And for some reason, I feel like if I put it out there someone could steal the idea. Which is a little silly and probably kind of snobby of me to think that its sooo good that its worth stealing. Not to mention it is nerve-wracking to put it out there before its perfect. There is still so much work to be done.

I still feel too uneasy to put some of it on the world wide web. Maybe someday I will feel a little differently. Or maybe I can just hurry up and finish it. :)

So today I am so excited to get back to it. I think I should be done with the reworking by tomorrow and then I will be back to my favorite part of creating new material!

I used to write on here what books I was currently reading until I found goodreads. But I think I should at least mention it sometimes because I think it is extremely important for me to be reading as much as I can. It will ultimately make me a better writer. I find that I am heavily influenced in my writing based upon things I have come into contact with recently. So I am really trying to make reading a part of my daily routine. For example, check out how many books Mette Harrison has read during the month of August! Her website has been extremely helpful to me as well. There have been days where I have gone to her website just to get motivated! Thanks Mette!

Anyway, right now I am reading Kathryn Stockett's The Help, and the second of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, The Girl the Played with Fire. I am really enjoying both of them. Completely different genres and totally different writing styles, which is great for me to learn from.

I have yet to come upon a website like mine, where it is someone that is working on a book that has not been published at all. I'm sure there are people out there, and I would be very interesting in finding them!! Hmmmm maybe I should do a little digging....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails