Tuesday, October 30, 2012

here's how I see it: a review of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"


The Picture of Dorian GrayThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book was... interesting at best.  I really liked the premise that Dorian was able to transfer his "aging" to the painting, and go about unmarred by the decisions he makes and unaltered by the consequences.  But, for a good 3/4 of the book, Oscar Wilde seemed to be pontificating on a myriad of subjects that ended up reminding me of the Woodstock bird on the peanuts comic strip.  You know he's talking but it comes across as mumbling words that are meaningless.  I listened to the audioversion of this book and I don't think I would have ever been able to get though it if I just read it.

Not to knock Mr. Wilde, but I think the idea of this book could be adapted and redone to make a new book that is very interesting and much more compelling.  The whole relationship with Sibyl Vane was so rushed and intense it was unbelievable, and then the entire time Dorian was off doing all these terrible things, I didn't feel connected to him or what he was doing at all.  I knew the murder was coming but I wish it wasn't so obvious as the next step.

I had a friend say that this book was meant to be discussed, not read, and I think she was right on.  Of course you have to read it to discuss it, obviously, which is the downside.  The relationship with his friends, Harry and Basil were also so strange to me.  I'm sure some of that had to do with the time period, but again, I was left feeling just.... disconnected.  I knew Dorian did all these unspeakable things, but I didn't FEEL it from him.  I didn't hate him, or feel sorry for him.  You never want to feel apathetic towards the main character.  Maybe its the difference of showing, not telling, which I always hear about as a writer.

The two stars I'm giving it are for the idea of the story.  I think it could have been so much more.  Sorry, Oscar Wilde.


View all my reviews


dizzylittlechatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails