Friday, October 19, 2012

The Life I Thought I Wanted

You know how when you're little and you imagine you grown up life, you just knew certain things would happen.  I remember a 4th of July with my cousin, looking up at the fireworks, dreaming about when I would be doing that same thing with my husband and we talked about what our husbands would be like, and how we would live on the same street and our kids would play.  In my mind, I was going to get married in my early 20's have four-ish kids basically right away and then proceed to be the best mommy ever.

Ha. 

My life isn't really anything like I pictured, but I'm sooooo glad its not!  Here's some things I never thought I would do:
  • Marry someone 9 years older than me- SCORE for me!  Hubby is still amazing after 10 years.
  • Have stepkids- Never thought I would ever have to be a stepmom, but I LOVE it!!
  • Leave my religion- Its a looooong, heartbreaking story, but the road to truth led me somewhere I never would have expected, but I'm so happy with where I am.  This one, for SURE I never in a gazillion years would have imagined, since I was raised extremely devout.  Like i said, its a long story...
  • Spend 7 years trying to get pregnant.  Thought for sure this would be a cinch.  What did I know back then??  But I'm the HAPPIEST mommy in the world, and I cherish every single second with my perfect son.
  • Work in the Insurance and Investment Industry for 10 years.  yeah, not sure how this happened, but I learned a lot and now I'm SO THANKFUL EVERY SECOND that I will NEVER EVER EVER have to do it again. :)
  • Write a book- never even considered it as a possibility... now I'm almost done with a whole entire book!  
  • Live in Utah- never pictured staying here, but since my girlies are here, this is where we are.  But I love being around family and enjoying the seasons.  
  • Become much more open minded- I didn't realize it at the time, but I was kind of judgmental.  After all the things I've been through in my life, I've learned that you can never pretend to understand where someone is in their life, what they've been through or that you would do it differently if you were them.   You have no idea what you would do if if you walked their road.  Now, I just try to be nice to everyone, and accept people for who they are at that moment.   Who am I to judge?
It's funny because never in a million years would I want the life I thought I wanted back then.  I wonder if there are things I think will turn out a certain way for my future now, that will veer totally off the course I have mapped in my mind.  I'm sure it will happen.  Who knows what the future holds??

What things haven't gone as you thought in your life?  What would you change if you could go back?

Hope you have a great weekend... I'm planning to!

dizzylittlechatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails